Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Success & Happiness"

I guess I'm a little behind the curve on this one because the exhibit left over a month ago but I just had to share this artist I found and have fallen for. Her name is Kelly Sherman and her show Success and Happiness was at the Barbara Krakow Gallery on Newbury Street here in Boston. Sherman is a conceptual artist and her works certainly make a statement. One of her shows was a collection of various wish lists taken from the Internet which was featured at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston and won their 2006 James and Audrey Foster Prize. My favorite work of hers is a collection of portrayals of brides. She used real ads from bridal magazines but painted over the silhouette of the actual bride with white enamel creating a very crisp, modern, and somewhat eerie scene. Her work takes aim at how we express our wants and desires especially in relation to consumerism but I must say I don't think I've seen such a serious question posed so beautifully!

Images courtesy of Barbara Krakow Gallery
From top to bottom: Bride #26 2009, Bride #3 2009, Bride #25 2009


1 comment:

  1. I agree with your analysis. BTW do you know what medium was used to create the silhouettes?

    ReplyDelete